Derek M. Wenzel is a native of Haywood County. His father is Dr. Frederick Wenzel, who was a general surgeon in Haywood County for over thirty years, and his mother is Judy Wenzel. His brothers are Dr. Chris Wenzel who is currently an Ear, Nose & Throat doctor in Haywood County and Dr. Frederick Wenzel, IV.
Derek Wenzel graduated from Tuscola High School in Haywood County as Salutatorian and from Davidson College near Charlotte, NC with honors and a double major in Spanish Literature and Political Science. He received his law degree from Washington College of Law at American University in Washington, DC, where he also worked at a real estate law firm before moving back to Waynesville.
Derek Wenzel is very active in the community, either being involved with or serving on the boards for such groups as the Haywood County Chamber of Commerce, Haywood County School Foundation, Folkmoot USA and the Knights of Columbus. He is also past president of the Haywood Rotary Club.
Derek M. Wenzel’s practice focuses primarily on real estate transactions, in which he represents buyers, sellers and those refinancing. In doing so, he works carefully with everyone involved in the transaction on your behalf such as realtors and lenders. He is an approved attorney for title companies such as Investors Title, First Choice Title and Attorney’s Title.
Areas of Law
- Residential Real Estate
- Commercial Real Estate Contracts
- Commercial Real Estate Sales
- Mortgage Refinancing
- Commercial Mortgages
- Easement and Right of Way Research and Preparation
- Land Sales
- Land Acquisitions
- Real Estate Acquisitions
- Real Estate Contracts
- Real Estate Development
- Real Estate Finance
- Real Estate Exchanges
- Real Estate Investment
- Real Estate Sales
- Real Estate Title
- Real Estate Title Examination
- Real Estate Title Insurance
- Real Property
- Real Property Acquisitions
- Real Property Development
- Real Property Finance
- Refinance and Loan Closings
- Residential Real Estate Acquisitions
- Residential Real Estate Development
- Residential Real Estate Finance
- Residential Real Estate Sales
- Right of Way Easements
- Title Searches
- 2002, North Carolina
- Washington College of Law, American University, Class of 2002, J.D.
- Davidson College, Class of 1999, B.A.
- with honors
Associations & Memberships
- North Carolina Bar Association (Member, Real Property Section)
- American Land Title Association
• Receive contracts and earnest money
• Open files
• Process initial title work and commitments
• Gather closing information, payoffs, HOA information, etc.
Pam / Ashley - Closers
• Process closings, loan paperwork, settlement statements, and disbursements
• Assists with many aspects of the closings
- Handles closing paperwork after closing, such as sending deeds and final title policies, pulling copies from closings that have already occurred, etc.